Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wine Quest


When Jess called to tell me she needed a date (the boy she was bringing ditched last minute, figures...) to a wine tasting/dinner/auction charity event, I was all in. I guaranteed her we'd have a good time together, no boys needed, and we definitely did. In short, there was a lot of wine, a lot of food, and a little bit of drama ;)

First, because it makes me laugh, the drama:

A few other people from her law firm were there, with their dates, and all together, we made up a table of 8. There was one couple there that Jess didn't know (the drama couple), although the girl was a friend of her co-worker. Our table was in the shape of a "U" - Jess and I arrived at the table first and being considerate, we took the two end seats on one side of the "U". The other 3 girls arrived, without their men (why the boys were at the cash bar when we were about to be served massive amounts of free wine is beyond me...) and took up the other side of the "U". The boys arrive - 2 sit at the bottom of the "U" and the other sits next to me, filling up our side of the "U". Hopefully this is creating a mental picture of our table set-up! So, the guy who is sitting next to me is the boyfriend of the girl across from Jess, on the other side of the "U" (confused yet?). So, long story short, since this paragraph is already getting out of control, me and the guy next to me had really great PLATONIC conversation the whole night, to the dismay of his girlfriend. At the end of the night, the guys offered to drive Jess and I to our car since they valeted and we did self-park. Well, guess who was actually driving? The crazy girlfriend, of course. When we got into the car, she asked, "What are they doing here?!" It was pretty funny. Girls, if you don't want your men talking to other girls (even in an innocent, platonic, non-flirting manner AND right in front of you) don't sit on the opposite side of the table, forcing them to sit next to other girls! Like I said, it makes me laugh :)

Ok, on to more important things. The food.

The food, for the most part, was amazing. I did not enjoy the first course of Beets, Goat Cheese and Celery Root, but the other 5 courses were awesome! I think my favorite was the Braised Heritage Farm Pork Belly, Mascarpone Grits and Collard Greens. That might sound fancy, but pork belly, grits and collard greens is about as southern as it gets - And southern is good. Also, the dessert was to die for - Warm Chocolate Cake, Bailey's Cream Biscotti & Vanilla Ice cream!


Pork belly, grits & collard greens! Sorry the pic is dark, but it's just not classy to take pictures of food at this type of event, ha ha, so the flash had to be turned off

The auction was fun too, although neither of us forked up the cash to win anything . Jess did bid once on the FL/GA tickets, right at the beginning, just to say she bid at a live auction :P


See, she really did bid for real!

So the most important part of the night? The wine, duh.


First, there was champagne and 2 white wines, which were great because they were free, but nothing I would order myself. On to the reds! The Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon were so delectable. To make things better, we made friends with the "Pinot Pourer" so our "wine tasting" turned into a "wine drinking" - It was amazing.



Simply amazing...

I don't get to do fancy things like that very often (Edit- ever) so thanks Jess for letting me be your hot date ;)


Wine Quest 2009 Pictures - complete with pics of each course. Sorry, only one has the flash, since nobody was in the room yet.

1 comment:

  1. I can't hear any more about this b/c I am officially...jealous! HA!

    So glad you did this. Jealous of all the food & wine. I'm an eater. haha.

    Love you & see you soon!!!xo

    ReplyDelete