Thursday, August 13, 2009

Jess and Melissa loose in Philadelphia!


Last week I took a quick weekend trip up to Philly. I was originally going up there for a good friend of mine's wedding, however unfortunately it got canceled. I figured I had a plane ticket and I've never been so there was no reason I shouldn't still go. My good friend, Jess Gavrich, said she had family up there so she'd love to come along with me. I flew up on Friday and since she wasn't flying in until Saturday morning and because I knew she'd have no interest in going, I headed up to the Philadelphia Zoo right after my flight got in. The Philly Zoo is the oldest zoo in the country and I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice facility it was. After getting back to my hotel that night, I headed out to find a fun bar to get some food and hang out (yes, by myself!). I thought it might be fun to meet some cute men out, so naturally I ended up befriending two female bartenders and a married couple! Figures...

Saturday morning Jess arrived in town, so I checked out and headed over to her aunt's apartment to meet up with them. We went out for some breakfast, then Jess and I wandered the city for the day, trying to cram in as much sightseeing as possible. Every where we went it seemed like things were shut down for a few hours at a time, which was pretty aggravating. We decided to walk over to the Betsy Ross house and finally figured out what the deal was - Michelle Obama and her kids were in town, being tourists just like us! There were so many people hanging out, hoping to catch a glimpse of her when she arrived, so we figured we could hang out for a few minutes too. We thought we had a great spot, right across the street from the house, with nobody in front of us, however we were wrong. Her car ended up pulling up right in front of us, so when she got out and waved, her entire car was blocking our view - there was a nice cop though, who took our camera and ran down a little ways to get a better angle. All we ended up getting was a far away picture of her backside walking in, but better than nothing I guess :/

By the time we got back to Jess's aunt's apartment, we were exhausted! We managed to see a lot of sites, including Franklin Court, the U.S. Mint, Reading Terminal Market and the Liberty Bell, but the night was just beginning. Jess has two cousins, both close in age to us, living in Philly, so we met up with them for the night. For dinner we went to a place called Raw with Jess's cousin Gabby, Gabby's husband Tom, her cousin Ivan, and his boyfriend Nick. After dinner, Ivan and Nick headed home, so the remaining four of us headed out to a bar called Irish Pub, which turned out to be a really fun night ;)

Sunday we went to brunch with Jess's aunt, uncle, cousin Gabby and her husband Tom. Afterwards, we tried to go to Independence Hall, which we were never able to get into the day before, but they were sold out of tickets again! So instead, we walked around Washington Square for a little bit, then headed back to get our stuff and get to the airport.

It was such a fun little weekend, and I'm so happy that Jess came with me. I was going to have to go by myself, but Jess being there made it so much more fun! Hopefully I'll get to go back sometime because there is still so much stuff I'd like to see!

Fun Philly Pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment