Earlier this week we got our most recent addition at Discovery Cove - Thelma had her 4th baby! He's doing so well and is of course, so adorable! Thelma is such a great mom, it's so fascinating watching the two of them. You really have to respect dolphin moms - they literally can't stop swimming or lose focus for more than a second or two, or baby is swimming into a wall (or in the ocean, swimming into a shark's mouth!). I can't imagine how exhausted she must be.
See the lines on his side? Those are called fetal folds and they're from being all folded up inside mom's belly. They will fade away after a month or so. How adorable is he?!
How often do you get to see a dolphin nurse? They curl their tongues up like a straw so they don't drink the saltwater - amazing!
We still have 4 pregos, including my beautiful Rose. This will be her first calf and I hope it's as gorgeous as she is. I did my last interaction with her recently, before she was pulled out for maternity leave. I'll miss you Rose!

Checking out Rose's dance moves - being that she's huge and pregnant, she was a pretty lazy dancer ;)

Showing my group where Rose used to have hair - that's right, dolphins are born with a mustache! It falls out pretty quickly after birth and never re-grows back, but remember they are mammals and the rule is, you gotta have hair to be a mammal!
No comments:
Post a Comment