A few months ago I caught this little guy in my front yard. He's a Cuban tree frog. He's supposed to live in Cuba! The problem with him living in my front yard is that he eats all my local frogs. He's a bad frog! So I had two options - kill him or make him a pet. I didn't have the heart to kill him (of course) so I went out and bought him a tank and made him an indoor pet. I half-hoped he wouldn't do well with captivity and would die and I could say at least I tried, however to my surprise he did just fine. Google said he would eat a lot and they were right! I bought him about 30 large crickets/week and within 4 or 5 days they were all gone.
His new home
I pretty quickly found out that I'm not a frog person, but I still didn't have the heart to kill him. I started researching frog enthusiast groups to find him a better home, but the only people I could find that were interested were out of state and shipping was just going to be too expensive. Little did I know that one of my co-workers has recently started a non-profit for exotic critters. The second I found out I emailed him and asked him if he knew of any good resources for me to look into and to my surprise he said he'd take him! So now I am frog-free and that makes me very happy :)
The one thing I did like about him was that he put on a pretty good National Geographic show when he got a new delivery of crickets each week
No comments:
Post a Comment